Multiple transcod..

Archived from the Transloadit support forum. Originally posted on January 25, 2012; details may be outdated, see our docs for current behavior. Original thread

Good morning.
I am actually working with your templates and I have several questions.. I need to transcode avi, mp4, mpeg,.. and also different audio codecs ( mp3, aac, wav.. )

The question would be: Can I transcode any input video with a single ffmpeg command? Or do I have to make a kind of swtich considering every input format?

Do you have standard commands for avis, mp4, etc so you can help me?

Thank you very much!

Hey jcivit,

for all the different formats you want to encode into, you’d have to add one encoding step to your template. You may be able to use some of our presets for some of your steps. Please check out the video encode docs here: http://transloadit.com/docs/video-encode and the video encoding demos here: http://transloadit.com/demos

Presets can be partially overwritten by adding the “ffmpeg” parameter to your encoding step. Again plz check the video encode robot docs.

Let me know if this helps. :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Tim

Hi Tim!

First of all, thank you for your answer. I am checking best encoding ‘rules’ for each format.

"video_preview": {
    "use": ":original",
    "robot": "/video/encode",
    "width": 620,
    "height": 360,
    "ffmpeg": {
      "f": "mp4",
       "vcodec": "libx264",
       "b": "2000K",
       "aspect": "16:9",
       "acodec": "libmp3lame",
        "t": 5
    }
},

I am trying this one, but I get an error at the end of the procces, but no info about it.

Maybe the error is when I try to keep the aspect ratio?

Thanks

Hey Josep,

well the aspect ratio should be kept by default. You should only add the parameter if you want to change it.

Can you provide the assembly’s id? Then I can take a look at what the problem was.

Kind regards
Tim

REDACTED

This Id is the last ‘compiled’ assembly, and I get an error.

File for preset ‘max’ not found… Now I see I can check assemblies…

SORRy… I dont want to waste other people time…

Hey Josep,

unfortunately we do not support vpre: max yet. : /

Hi again, I always get this error: Error while opening encoder for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

ID_ assembly: REDACTED

ffmpeg -i 720p.mov -vcodec libx264 -s 1366x768 -b 2000k -acodec libfaac -ab 128k output.mp4

This works perfect under my linux but not here…

Thanks…

Hey Josep,

can you remove the “aspect” parameter from your ffmpeg settings in your template and then try again please? Since you have specified a width and height, this should not be necessary.

Kind regards
Tim

Hi again Tim,

Yesterday I made a test against the video_ALL_IN_ONE template. The assemblie ID for this template is REDACTED

The question is that it took 17 min to upload convert and save a 8 seg file ( 10MB ) which I think its not too big. The upload took 1 minute, so the rest is for transcoding, and the template did not require “too much effort”.

I wonder why i took that time for the transcoding.. The same transcoding in a virtual ubuntu took less than 1 second for a 442MB file..

Thank you.

Hey Josep,

thanks for getting in touch. The problem is that one of our high-profile clients ran a large import yesterday which caused elevated queue times.

Sorry about that. We constantly investigate different ways to keep queue times low.

Kind regards
Tim

Hi Tim,

We are a company, ACV Global. We are setting up a new project and we are evaluating Transload IT. We offer to our customers a 24x7 service. We can
NOT support these long delays. Which is your level of commitment? Can you provide us a written SLA?

Thank you,

Josep.

Hey Josep,

I’d love to, but since we offer our customers and potential customers (like you) the ability to run large imports any time without prior written notice, we cannot offer an SLA that concerns queue times.

We have very low queue times most of the time. But our load is pretty unpredictable.
If you demand a dedicated encoding solution I’d recommend pandastream.com. They offer you the ability to have a dedicated encoding machine that you can use. It’s $99 per month (our pricing starts at $19).

If your users use up the machine themselves you’d have to add another machine manually - for another $99 per month. So you are more or less in charge of the scaling yourself, which is not good and that’s not what cloud services are for.

We provide scaling on demand without you having to worry about it. If we are hit by an unexpected high load, which happens very rarely, there is little we can do, other than starting many machines automatically to catch up on the queue.

Having said this, If you’d like to reconsider your opinion, please let me know. We can also schedule a skype call where I can further explain this and the benefits of using Transloadit over our competition.

Kind regards,
Tim

PS: If you’d like an SLA about the service itself without the queue times, we can def. work something out.

Hi again Tim!

Good morning, at least here in Barcelona!

I am traying a template and when i test it i got an error result, assembly # REDACTED. It says, “Error while opening encoder for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height”

I checked these parameters and seems that they are ok! Any idea?

Thank you!

Hey Josep,

can you try adding

vpre: “medium”

to your ffmpeg settings please?

The system is stuck… At 4:09pm I started uploading, at 4:11 ended uploading and started transcoding. Still waiting for results…

The system is stuck… At 4:09pm I started uploading, at 4:11 ended uploading and started transcoding. Still waiting for results…

Do you have an assembly id for this?

Hey Josep,

did you see Felix’ reply?

Closing this for now. Please feel free to reopen the ticket as you see fit.