Splitting audiofile / inserting new audiofile into the middle of existing

Hi there,
I’m very pleased with audio concat, using it to append and prepend audio files. However, I’m faced with the challenge of inserting a file in the middle of another. At a given time stamp. So I guess the flow could be to split audiofile A into pieces: A1, A2 - append the new file B onto A1, append A2 onto (A1B) resulting in (A1BA2). Anyone know if this can be achieved, or if there’s an entirely different way? Thanks so much in advance :slight_smile:

Hello, we can achieve your use case using two /audio/encode Robots with some custom ffmpeg code to cut the audio file into two halves; then, using our /audio/concat Robot, you can sandwich a third imported audio file between your previously halved audio file.

The one shortfall of this method is that you need to specify where your audio file’s middle point is (see -ss and -t flag).

I used a minute-long audio file to test this template.

{
  "steps": {
    ":original": {
      "robot": "/upload/handle"
    },
    "audio_imported": {
      "robot": "/http/import",
      "result": true,
      "url": "https://demos.transloadit.com/inputs/powered-by.mp3"
    },
    "first_half": {
      "use": ":original",
      "robot": "/audio/encode",
      "ffmpeg": {
        "ss": "00:00:00",
        "t": 30
      },
      "ffmpeg_stack": "v3.3.3",
      "preset": "mp3"
    },
    "second_half": {
      "use": ":original",
      "robot": "/audio/encode",
      "ffmpeg": {
        "ss": "00:00:30",
        "t": 30
      },
      "preset": "mp3"
    },
      "merged": {
        "robot": "/audio/concat",
        "preset": "mp3",
        "use": {
          "steps": [
            {
              "name": "first_half",
              "as": "audio_1"
            },
            {
              "name": "audio_imported",
              "as": "audio_2"
            },
            {
              "name": "second_half",
              "as": "audio_3"
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    }
}
2 Likes

Thanks so much Warden! This is brilliant. Will get to it first thing tomorrow! Now that I have you :slight_smile: I don’t suppose it would be possible to have ffmpeg detect the insertion spot by “listening” for at cue, like a high pitched beep, out of our ears range? Would make this work flow significantly more automatic :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, as far as I’m aware this isn’t an available feature FFmpeg has. Funnily enough, I looked for an API to do this a few weeks ago and didn’t find anything.

Thanks again for your help. I look into it and post here if I discover something useful.

I’ve successfully integrated this on my server and all is looking good! One question though: I can’t seem to get milliseconds to work, can you confirm this is not supported? A second is a pretty long span under certain circumstances.

So to represent millisends you need to use a decimal value. I just successfully tested with the flag and value "ss": "00:00:30.50".

I don’t know how I missed that, thanks :slight_smile: