Archived from the Transloadit support forum. Originally posted on June 12, 2012; details may be outdated, see our docs for current behavior. Original thread
unfortunately we don’t support integration with other JS file upload plugins at this point. It is not impossible, but would require serious customization to get working.
That being said, we are planning to provide an API that makes it easy to use the very plugin you’re interested in as well as others, so if you can make do with our current plugin for a little, you’ll get the plugin you want later this year.
this depends a little on what features you need to get from that plugin working right away. For example the callbacks and general upload should not take too much time to do. However, if you want to support resumable file uploads, then that would be harder as we’d also have to support it on the server side.
Which features are you specifically in need of, that our own jQuery plugin does not provide?
Sorry for the late reply. I just need help on how to do the genreal upload and callbacks. I am not looking for any support on the server side support.
I like the jquery file upload plugin for: multiple file upload, drag and drop, upload progress bar, no browser plugins required, extensibility and callbacks in the API.
I am switching to using the transloadit js. I am new to Rails and was wondering why some developers might use paperclip or carrierwave to upload files to transloadit. From what I understand, files can be directly uploaded to transloadit for processing and sent to S3 and back to the server.
What is the advantage/disadvantage of using paperclip/carrierwave ?
If you mean use paperclip combined with Transloadit, I think paperclip contains logic for handling the resulting files in your app. E.g. save a database record for each of them without you having to write much boilerplate for it.
Depending on your usecase, it may make more or less sense to just write a few lines for this yourself, paperclip may be hefty.
The reason I can see for using Transloadit combined with Paperclip is if you want to offload encoding tasks to our servers and make use of our 3 years of experience debugging and fixing potential encoding problems.
Thanks for the responses. Let me know I haven’t understood this correctly.
The advantage with using carrierwave/paperclip is that the files never my server so this factors in the privacy. Paperclip/carrierwave help save a database record to the corresponding file after being uploaded to transloadit for processing.
Without paperclip/carrierwave, would this process make sense:
User uploads file
File is directly uploaded to transloadit
transloadit pings server back when the process is done.
What would the differences if I used paperclip/carrierwave. Sorry if the question seems redundant. Really new to this so just trying to learn.
This process is valid. You setup the redirect_url (see documentation) to point to a url that can accept a POST when uploading & encoding is done. Transloadit will send you the results. All you have to do then (probably) is save a record in your database. Especially if you let us store the files in one of your S3 buckets. In that case you don’t even have to save the files on your server.