returning the file.urlName in the response

Archived from the Transloadit support forum. Originally posted on February 4, 2011; details may be outdated, see our docs for current behavior. Original thread

I was wondering if it would be possible to return the file.urlName in the transloadit response. I use that variable in the path (+some prefixes for different versions of the image) so it would be nice if i could store just the filename instead of the full url in my database. That way when the image host or bucket name changes i won’t have to change each image entry in my database.

I could simply strip the other data from the URL so i’m left with just the filename of course so this issue is not a must-have but it would be nice to have…

Best,
Tijs

Well, the file.urlName is really just the file.name with html entities escaped (htmlentities() in php). But I can see why that seems fragile / why you wouldn’t want to parse the url.

So we’ll consider adding support for this, and update the ticket if we do.

Yeah, someday in the future somebody at transloadit will decide to create the urlName differently and a thousand kittens will die a senseless death / my app would break.

I have a solution in place for it for now, but yeah keep us posted.

Well, if I was to develop an app I would safe the entire url in the database. If my urls ever change (due to a domain change for example), I would update all urls in my database to reflect that change. It seems like a less fragile approach to me, especially since it will also work well if you store your files under different paths.

What do you think?

it depends?

i store the images based on an account id + portfolio id + unique filename on S3. Then when i need to retrieve them from S3 directly i can with the same key as when i need to retrieve that file from cloudfront or from a local cache just by changing the host part of the url. All three situation are possible depending on where and how i’m displaying the image. Works well for me… but i might change it after moving to transloadit since i’ll have all the sizes i need (just about) pre resized and available from S3. Will just need to replace the host with cloudfront in that case.

Sorry for the late reply. Reading your last comment I’m not sure if you’re saying you still need this feature, or you don’t?

No problem. No i don’t need the feature anymore but i still think it would be handy to have in there at some point since it would allow a bit more flexibility in how you handle things.

Ok, I’ll keep it on my list!