Different assemblies for different fields

Archived from the Transloadit support forum. Originally posted on July 27, 2010; details may be outdated, see our docs for current behavior. Original thread

Hi,

there is a “simple” way to handle different assemblies in a same form for different fields?
For example, in a form i have two file inputs. I want one of them to be executed with one assembly, and another one with other assembly. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Gonzalo

No, but I could implement a ‘field’ parameter where you can specify what steps are executed for which field - this way you could do it all in one assembly.

Anyway, I’d be curious about further details of your use case? Are both files the same (two images, two videos?) or do you have different files? Why the different assembly?

I’m normally using templates because they really simplifies the process, so, for example if i want to store different fields in different paths in S3, i need two differents templates. Using only one assembly/template i cannot send both files to different paths in S3.

The “field” option imho seems a natural way to accomplish this. +1

Hopes it helps.
Thanks!
gonzalo

Hey, sorry this was on hold like forever. I’d love to make it up and get this implemented if it would still be useful to you!

Felix!,

Hi there, i think that its a very useful feature, right now I’ve solved the problem dividing the form in two and uploading each file in each form, making this feature available would be a much more tidy solution!

Thanks in advance!
gonzalo

Sorry, we were on a business trip Mo-Wed, but I’m back now and eager to get this implemented. One last question before so: Are the two files different types? I.e. one video and one image? If that’s the case you could already handle them in one assembly, since robots will ignore files that they don’t know how to handle.

Thanks for the tip! But in this case both were images but both have different thumbnails size and different folders in s3!

This has finally landed : )

http://transloadit.com/blog/2010/11/advanced-use-conditions-for-assembly-steps