Archived from the Transloadit support forum. Originally posted on September 9, 2011; details may be outdated, see our docs for current behavior. Original thread
Hi all. I got a project for a client where I can finally try and use Transloadit ![]()
Does anybody here know whether it’s possible to accept uploads from within a form without actually submitting the main form? As if it were “a form inside a form”. I know the short answer is “no” ![]()
The scenario is a Javascript intensive form with many fields, some being multimedia uploads, and some fields and fieldsets depending on whether the user did actually upload a file or not in some of these upload fields.
Another way to put it: a single-page (single-submit) form where some of the fields dynamically change depending on the format of the file the user has chosen to upload.
Using frames or iframes is not an option. As I think this is not possible, because the upload actually starts when the user submits the form, I assume I will have to build it in two steps, but would be a notable usability drawback, as the upload could take minutes to finish and therefore the user will have to wait to see the sencond step of the form.
Perhaps the clever guys at Transloadit allow to close the connection just after sending the beginning of the file (enough for detecting it’s type), but that would still be a two-submit process, and wouldn’t allow things like displaying a thumbnail of the upload while the user fills in the rest of the fields.
Comments are welcome.